Friday, March 20, 2009

Working on the Family Room

My mom has been over yesterday and today helping me work on the family room.

Here is before. See that ledge up there? That is one of the few features of this house I didn't like.

But after my mom helped me, now I like it a lot more! I found the bird houses half off at Hobby Lobby. I rescued the copper pot and suitcase from my grandparents house years ago and the architectural details as my mom called them on the ends came off of my in-laws old house. I made the quilt two houses ago. I think it is safe to say no one else in the neighborhood has a ledge like mine!
This was the after. Until Hubby came home and told me he didn't like the black table under the window.

For some reason he thinks the kids might wipe it out. I did finish the other pillow there on the sofa.

We are getting there, now if we could just get the entertainment center fixed and in its permanent home!

8 comments:

Jennie said...

You've done a great job putting everything together. One idea.... if hubby doesn't groove on the table, you could always put it behind the sofa to anchor that portion of the room. A sofa table with a nice lamp and such is always a fab choice. Good luck. What fun to have a nice, NEW house to decorate. I am jealous. :)

Tammy said...

I LOVE everything you did, including the table by the window. You're right that it's a funky ledge, but you've made it look like it was meant to be all along. Wish we had a hobby lobby - I just love those stores.

ittybittyandpretty said...

i love the little 'vingette' you have created on that ledge. i sort of agree with hubby, i think an unobstructed view out the window might be nicer. love the colour of the walls. have fun.
%*_*%

Circe said...

everything looks great! when are we bringning Tasty's to see it in person? :)

mysteryhistorymom said...

Your house is looking great, Michelle!

Please don't forget to mail your swap partner's package (Bird Swap) by next WEd.-the 25th. Let me know when you send/receive your goodies!:) Lori

Anonymous said...

It looks great!

SarahSmiles

love.boxes said...

Michelle! It turned out sooo beautiful!!!

Unknown said...

When I saw these pictures, I had to go see where you live. My father was a developer/contractor for many years and this is SO like the houses he built. My daughter and her husband had a room exactly like this one, except no fireplace. While my parents did live in Santa Cruz, CA area for many years, they live in Idaho now, so I'd say the California influence followed them :)
She did similar things to her ledge, that you did with yours. At Christmas time, she would put her Christmas village up there. It was very pretty.