Monday, December 31, 2007

We have been making slime!
Here's a mystery. Why was I able to post on a some-what regular basis during all the chaos of the pre-Christmas preparations but now that it is over I feel like I don't have much to post about? Well at least I don't seem to be alone, I have noticed a lot of my friends are a bit quieter than usual this week. But today we did do something fun. We made slime! And this is all you need:

Borax, elmers glue, water and food coloring. I posted a pic of the Borax because finding it was the hardest part of the whole project for me.

So first you combine in one bowl 2/3 C of white glue and 1/2 water. Add food coloring to this bowl if you desire. Then in another bowl stir together 1/2 C of water and 1 teaspoon of the Borax. Then pour the Borax water into the glue water. The reaction is pretty fast


Stir this lumpy stuff and then knead it a little.
It sort of changes its pliability and stretchiness. But my kids had a great time bouncing it, cutting it, stretching it and making bubbles in it. They played with it for about an hour and a half and that is pretty good for us. The site I found it on says you can keep it in a ziploc bag in the fridge. As for the mom rating, it was less messy than playdough or the moonsand we got for Christmas but it was a little cold and hands were slightly colored when we were done. All in all, I would make it again. Great project for those of us getting a bit of cabin fever!
So my friends, anyone have any great traditions or ideas for New Years Eve or Day? I am at a bit of a loss this year. Hope you all have a great New Years though!

6 comments:

Alison Gibbs said...

looks like fun was had with the slime.
Alison

Anonymous said...

Thank You Happy New Year Health Wealth and Love. Looove the crown! Denise Massachusetts

love.boxes said...

I think Brooke loves that slime stuff as well. She was telling me about something like that. Looks fun.

Blackeyedsue said...

You are a FUN mom. My kids would kill for me to do that.

I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE your kids table. Did you do that yourself?

Oh, yes you can have these printed out. Check out blurb.com. I plan on doing it at the end of this year. This is my main source of journaling and I would love to have it all in print.

Circe said...

My kids love slime, too! I thought I got the idea from you...maybe it was Brooke! Have a happy new year!

Camille said...

I may have to try that. I'm glad you posted a picture of the borax box so now I know what to look for. Is it at Target or Walmart in the laundry section, or do I need to look somewhere else?