Monday, December 31, 2007

We have been making slime!
Here's a mystery. Why was I able to post on a some-what regular basis during all the chaos of the pre-Christmas preparations but now that it is over I feel like I don't have much to post about? Well at least I don't seem to be alone, I have noticed a lot of my friends are a bit quieter than usual this week. But today we did do something fun. We made slime! And this is all you need:

Borax, elmers glue, water and food coloring. I posted a pic of the Borax because finding it was the hardest part of the whole project for me.

So first you combine in one bowl 2/3 C of white glue and 1/2 water. Add food coloring to this bowl if you desire. Then in another bowl stir together 1/2 C of water and 1 teaspoon of the Borax. Then pour the Borax water into the glue water. The reaction is pretty fast


Stir this lumpy stuff and then knead it a little.
It sort of changes its pliability and stretchiness. But my kids had a great time bouncing it, cutting it, stretching it and making bubbles in it. They played with it for about an hour and a half and that is pretty good for us. The site I found it on says you can keep it in a ziploc bag in the fridge. As for the mom rating, it was less messy than playdough or the moonsand we got for Christmas but it was a little cold and hands were slightly colored when we were done. All in all, I would make it again. Great project for those of us getting a bit of cabin fever!
So my friends, anyone have any great traditions or ideas for New Years Eve or Day? I am at a bit of a loss this year. Hope you all have a great New Years though!

6 comments:

Alison Gibbs said...

looks like fun was had with the slime.
Alison

Shabby Cottage Boutique said...

Thank You Happy New Year Health Wealth and Love. Looove the crown! Denise Massachusetts

love.boxes said...

I think Brooke loves that slime stuff as well. She was telling me about something like that. Looks fun.

Blackeyedsue said...

You are a FUN mom. My kids would kill for me to do that.

I LOVE, LOVE, LOVE your kids table. Did you do that yourself?

Oh, yes you can have these printed out. Check out blurb.com. I plan on doing it at the end of this year. This is my main source of journaling and I would love to have it all in print.

Circe said...

My kids love slime, too! I thought I got the idea from you...maybe it was Brooke! Have a happy new year!

Camille McInelly said...

I may have to try that. I'm glad you posted a picture of the borax box so now I know what to look for. Is it at Target or Walmart in the laundry section, or do I need to look somewhere else?