Monday, November 12, 2007

Sometimes you can judge a book by its cover!




My friend Tif was asking about this book on her blog the other day, whether anyone had read it. It looked so cute I had to check my library and see if they had it. They did and so I have been reading it this weekend. I have to say I have really quite enjoyed it. It is the memoir of a woman who spent a summer in New York with her best friend as a young woman at the end of World War II working as the first female pages at Tiffany. It is a nice light read. I had to chuckle at some of the exploits these innocent girls have in the big city, seeing famous people come in the store and experiencing the end of the war. If you are looking for strict historical account of the war this may not be what you want(and really how fun would that be?) but if you want an entertaining, first-hand account of one of my favorite period in our history I do recommend this book, and hey it has great descriptions of some of the most fun fashions and jewelry ever!

4 comments:

Alison Gibbs said...

Loved the look of the book when Tiff had it on her page. Thought she may have selected it because of its name and the shabby chic colours. A nice light read sounds like my of book.
Alison

Felicia said...

Sounds like fun. I'll have to look for it :)

Beth Leintz said...

This is just the kind of book I love- vintage career girl in New York City- every so often I have to reread The Best of Everything and Valley of Dolls just for the nostalgia

Janice said...

I just finished reading this one. I liked it. I didn't love it but it was a good fast, good for reading while taking a hot bath read.