Sunday, November 08, 2009

Reflections Contest

It was the big Reflections Contest assembly yesterday at my kids' school. It was a big day for Brittany and Matthew. The Reflections Contest is a big deal around here. For my part I think it is a great way to boost their self-confidence. I mean who doesn't want to sit on the stage and get a medal during a school assembly?

This year we were even more lucky that usual. Brittany won first place in literature for her poem Beauty:
Beauty is Outside
By Brittany Fitzgerald
Beauty is a summer night,
Beauty is, Beauty is,
Marshmallows toasted just right.
Beauty is, Beauty is,
Beauty is a Blue-Jay’s song,
Beauty is, Beauty is,
Not one single note wrong.
Beauty is, Beauty is,
Beauty is outside,
Beauty is, Beauty is,
Where loveliness doesn’t hide.
Outside, Outside,
Loveliness cannot hide.

It will go on to the next level.

She was just a little excited!
She also placed second in visual arts. I know I took a picture of her painting before we submitted it but I can't find it anywhere. This is her entry for 3-D art instead.

She also submitted this photograph in the photography category. Her theory is the more entries you have the better your chances of winning are!

Matthew also won first place, in visual arts.

This isn't the painting he submitted but it is similar. Beauty is the Ocean.

I loved his 3-D entry. Beauty is an alligator. He made it from scraps when his dad was building the shed. I wonder if they thought he had help? Oh well, that means we get to keep it and I loved it.

On another happy note, this is the scene in my backyard today. Can't tell you how happy this makes me! Can you believe this is November in Utah? We are enjoying it while we can!

7 comments:

Circe said...

Brittany's poem gave me chills! It IS beautiful! Wow. Your kids ooze creativity. Anyone would do well to raise their children exactly as you're raising yours. They are perfect. I love them and their beautiful minds!

Tiff said...

Congratulations you guys! I am so proud of you!! You definately got your mom's creativity and not Aunt Tiff's !!

Tammy@T's Daily Treasures said...

Congrats to the children. They must certainly get their creative side from their very talented mother. :) Everything is very sweet! And the scene in your backyard is one of pure content and happiness! Blessings to you, Tammy

Queen Elizabeth said...

It's nice to see that your kids have inherited your talent. Congrats to all!

sws said...

What a fantastic poem! It is easy to see why she won. Can't wait to hear about the next level. And I love the Alligator...beauty is definitely in the eye of the beholder! (Alligator's scare me a bit...) Thanks for sharing.

Sarah Smiles said...

Congratulations Brittany and Matthew! Awesome job!

Anonymous said...

Wow, was I surprised to read your blog this morning. I didn't know of your great accomplishments!! I'm very impressed and very proud of both Brittany and Matt. Congratulations, great work, you're both awesome, so is your little brother!!

Grandpa B.