Saturday, January 19, 2013

A Book and a Movie


Once upon a time I used to blog about books and movies. I just checked, the last post I did about a book was Saving Cee Cee Honeycutt in  August 2011. The last movie was when The Help came out the same month. I have actually seen quite a few movies and read a lot of books since then. I can't say any that I loved quite as much as The Help but I am going to try and blog some favorites more often because I like having an ongoing list of books and movies I like on this old blog. So in that spirit this is a post about a book and a movie.  I have lunch with some dear friends every Wednesday. We discuss and attempt to solve all the world's problems. Let me tell you, it hasn't been easy lately. I have been reading this book, Safe Passage lately. It is the story of two sisters, unmarried due to the small numbers of men who came back from World War II, who are able to use their resulting independence as single women to acheive amazing things. First they discover opera in the 1920's which sounds like an amazing, beautiful world. They don't have a lot of money so they wait in line for long periods of time to get cheap galley seats. As they do this they meet some of the opera stars, eventually getting to know them well and become friends with some. These friendships eventually morph into a huge refugee project to save people before the outbreak of World War II. They would have their opera friends plan performances in Austria and Germany to give them an excuse to go over so often. They would wear people's jewelry out so that when they got out they would have some money to live on. They also arranged sponsers so people could get out of Germany to England. They saved 29 people. It was an inspiring book, a little heavy on the opera in the first hundred pages for someone who knows very little about it but still really enjoyable.

While reading Safe Passage and during those conversations with my friends I found myself wondering if people are still like that. How many will risk their lives, use their personal funds to save someone they don't know just because it is the right thing to do. Would I? Then I went with my mother to see the movie The Impossible. Amazing movie. Exhausting movie. Just in case you aren't familiar it is the story of a family vacationing in Thailand when the Tsunami hit. The kind of story that has to be true to work because no one would believe it otherwise. Fair warning though, during the tsunami scene I kept wondering why I was putting myself through this. Hard to watch, you feel like you are drowning yourself. But there were some answers to my question as to whether people are still good like they were during World War II. There is a scene where the mother and one boy are trying to get to a safer spot in case there are more waves. Severely injured, she and her son hear a child crying. Her son tries to talk her into continuing on arguing that she doesn't even have the energy to move herself let alone save another person. But even though she may be dying she tells her son they have to, even if it is the very last thing they do. There are several instances like this throughout the movie, I guess that is part of what made it so good!

2 comments:

Golda Cristine said...

I definitely want to read that book and see that movie! Thanks for the reviews!

Anonymous said...

Lasts as very long as the shoes to in shape on the line!
LeBron operates in predominant black, gray and white
shades, or a pink or pure whilte. The initial Oxygen The best
possible product which has been developed had been the
ecosystem Most one. Science and Engineering of China shoe
equipment can not do out of it? http://www.airmax90s2013.
co.uk