Tuesday, October 30, 2007


'Dem bones!
I guess it is a baking day around here today too. I wanted a treat to send with my kids to school tomorrow that was different than cupcakes or sugar cookies so I thought I would try making these bones out of meringue. They were really easy and made a ton, I have enough for both classes.


It was a bit easier because I have a decorator-tipped thing(don't know what it is really called!) that really made it easy. I am pretty sure you could do the same thing with a plastic bag and then cut a hole in the corner.

The recipe is super easy. You just throw 4 egg whites in a mixing bowl, when it gets foamy add 1/4 t cream of tartar.I have used 1/4 t salt when I don't have any. Then beat it until it is stiff then slowly add 3/4 c sugar and beat until it is glossy and the sugar dissolves. Stuff it in the decorator tube and make bone shapes on aluminum foil. My mother-in-law taught me to put them in an oven heated to 350, turn off the oven and leave them there until morning. I think you can cook them at a low temp like 250 for 25 minutes or so, but her way they stay white. I hope my kids like 'em! Hope your Halloween preparations are going well. I am going to do a nice long post tomorrow full of tricks and treats!

4 comments:

Alison Gibbs said...

What a great idea Michelle. it will be fun for them to have something a bit different to everyone else.
Alison

Natasha Burns said...

sounds fantastic and looks great too Michelle!!!

(did you get my email reply to you the other day re books? some of my emails haven't been getting through to people lately and I get a message 16 days later saying it never went through arrgh computers!!!)

Anonymous said...

Hi Michelle,
They look YUM and I am sure the kids would absolutely love them! What a great idea!!
Kathy :)

Amanda Edwards said...

you amaze me! you are so creative in thinking of things to do for your kids. I am inspired to make some bones now!