Wednesday, July 04, 2012

Fabulous Fourth 2012

I love the Fourth of July. For several reasons. It makes me nostalgic. It was the first date William asked me on 23 (seriously? how can this be?) years ago. We saw Dead Poets Society and then went to the same K town fireworks we take our kids to now. I love that it is a holiday that has such consistent traditions that are relatively easy to pull off. All that time I spend getting ready for Christmas? The shopping, crafting, baking, wrapping etc? It really doesn't create a better memory than the one I always hope for on the Fourth. The one were we all end up piled on a blanket together, safe and happy watching fireworks. 
So here is one of our traditions. Every year I take four bottles of paint, a paint brush, a water bottle and a paper towel and we paint faces while we wait for the parade. Rules are it has to be those colors and within my abilities. Preferably patriotic. Matthew's flag. 

 Brittany's fireworks. Oh, another part of the tradition includes the grandparents. They almost always come to the parade and fireworks with us. And if you are lucky Grandpa will leave his cowboy hat in your care like he did Brittany.
 Ah!  A rare picture of me on the blog! But when you have a boy this cute to take it with how can you resist. By the way, he is posed like that because he is trying to show his puppy to best advantage and look at the camera with just his eyes. Oh look! Another cute boy behind me! That would be William, really he is having fun.
 Okay, so our parade may have been a little too full of advertisements, and maybe political stuff for my tastes. Maybe my kids did risk their lives trying to get some precious taffy but the whole thing was perfect because of this entry. Several trucks bearing veterans. Awesome in and of itself but the reaction of the cheering crowd in addition almost made me cry. Such a great feeling!
 Hey, who doesn't want to go the parade with this Grandma? She will yell and scream until you do get that precious taffy, even if you aren't paying attention. After the parade I had to go home and take a nap. It was hot! And we did have fireworks to attend. Then Grandma and Grandpa came for a little BBQ which always makes any meal more fun.
Then we took Grandpa with us to the fireworks. No Grandma because she is recovering from cataract surgery and fireworks seemed a bad, bad idea. So on our way to the fireworks I called my friend Circe to see where she had told me they go every year thinking maybe we would try something new and hook up with them. When we got there the sprinklers were on so we went to plan B and tried  another spot. We had lots of room for fribee and playing catch.  We were a little worried when the Dopps came because some nearby sprinklers made us wonder if a shower would be part of our fireworks. My kids had so much more fun with friends. Hanging with the "little people" as Brittany put it. The girl loves some little kids to play with. And we had fun grown-ups to visit with. Turned out to be our best spot ever! Perfect view, we saw the ground fireworks we never get to see, had lots of room to play and were right by our car so we beat it out of there in record time. It was so good I will never tell exactly where it was in case it gets ruined, but we hope to see the Dopps there again next year!

Well, it is after midnight now. The Fourth is officially over for another year. But it really was as Matthew put it, "one of our best ones ever".  That is why I had to stay up late and write this down. Because today was practically perfect and let's face it not all days are. Someday I may need to remember this perfect day in detail. Because today I have it all. My family, who are all here and healthy. My home, community and friends. And this beautiful country. Yep, I am truly blessed.


3 comments:

sws said...

great post of a perfect day and how blessed we are to live in this country surrounded by wonderful friends. Love the photos.

Circe said...

Aw, you brought tears to my eyes! Yes, same place next year for sure. We'll come earlier and bring frisbees and glow sticks so my kids don't steal all of yours. It was so much fun!!

girls bedroom ideas said...

Hey
Gingham World
Good work, you are a very good writer!!! I truly love how it is easy on my eyes and the data are well written.