Saturday, January 28, 2012

A Couple of Good Ones

It is not often I have a week where I find two movies I really liked. But William was out of town last week so I watch quite a few and then because he had been out of town I went to the movies with my mom and sister.
My mom, sister and I went to The Artist. I don't know that I would have made it to this one without them. They were the perfect companions for this movie. Children or husband would have ruined this one. Literally. I kept thinking, " I would not even take a sleeping child to this movie". I knew it was a silent movie, I just didn't get how silent. There are places where there isn't even music. That said I loved it because I felt transported to another time. I have always been fascinated by eras of the past and this movie allowed me to trick myself into believing I was in the early 1930's. It is a similar plot line to Singing in the Rain; sound comes to the movies and some actors were not excited about it. In fact the main character really, really reminded me of Gene Kelly. No singing, it is a silent film remember? But there is a fun soft shoe number. That is a reason to see it right there. It was really a beautiful movie and a unique experience.


Then I rented Midnight in Paris. I am not a huge Woody Allen fan and Owen Wilson did not seem a natural partner for him but after the Golden Globes I decided to give it a shot. I am glad I did. Even if I had only watched the first five minutes of shots around Paris in super saturated color it would have been worth it. But then throw in more costuming from the 20' s in Paris and you have a really beautiful film. This one was sort of light on plot but it was fun to watch Owen Wilson's character meet famous people in Paris from the past.



I have thought a lot about both of these movies in the days after I enjoyed them. That is one of the measures of a good movie to me. Recommend them both!

3 comments:

tattingbug said...

Love to read your reviews?
How come the pictures didn't come through?

tattingbug said...

Ooooops that first sentence should have an ! not a ?. Sorry!

scfinder said...

Great article and thanks for your work.You made an article that is interesting. At the same time,Welcome to look at SpeedyCourse Thanks.
What's more, you can search through out courses