Tuesday, April 17, 2007



After yesterday's horrible events in Virginia I find myself looking for a good escape book. A different time period, and preferably a whole different part of the world. These are two of my favorites that I will be re-reading. Tisha takes place in Alaska in 1927 and is about a nineteen year old girl who goes to teach school in a small mining community. It doesn't get much more removed from springtime in Utah than that! The second is The Ladies of Missalonghi. It is by the same author as the Thornbirds but I really like it better and it is much smaller. It is set in the early 1900's in Austrailia and is about three single ladies, a mother, daughter and aunt who have very predictable, dare we say boring, lives until a divorced cousin moves to town. It is really lovely and clever. It isn't to earth shaking or too exciting, sort of just a slice of life. I don't know why, but after things like yesterday's shooting times past really appeal to me. I'm sure it only seem like their lives were more peaceful to me, probably wouldn't have to them, but somehow they don't seem nearly as violent. Hope maybe one of these will provide a little escape for you!!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Oh, the times passed....Yes, they seem so far away.. I long for them too...Although, my grandmoher says, it is always something....Even in the olden days, there were huge wars, huge outbreaks of diseases...Always, something. It just seems extra scary in the world these days... I want to escape too....At least for a little while.. in a book....

love.boxes said...

I love your recommendations! Thanks!