Monday, April 30, 2007



Gluten-free chocolate cake!!

Yes, I have posted this cake before, it is the famous garbanzo bean cake, but this time I added German chocolate frosting. Even if you don't have a problem with gluten I think of this cake as almost a freebie, I mean it has no oil, no butter and is based on beans which are healthy for you. Or is that just my justification? All I know is it is yummy and I don't feel guilty eating it, well at least not until I add the super-yummy frosting! So once again here is the cake recipe and I have added the frosting after. Cake: Add the following to your blender 2 cans of chickpeas(garbanzo beans), 1 1/2 c melted chocolate chips, 6 eggs,1 1/2 c sugar 1 1/2 t baking powder. Blend them all together until smooth. If your blender isn't quite big enough you can add the chocolate after it is all blended together. I did this one in layers so I poured it into greased 9 inch pans and baked about 25 min at 350.

Frosting: In a large saucepan combine the following 1 can evaporated milk, 1 1/2 c sugar, 3/4 c butter, 4 egg yolks. Cook and stir on med heat about 12-15 minutes or until thickened and golden brown. Remove from heat. Add 1 t vanilla. Stir in 2 2/3 c coconut and pecans if desired. I don't add the nuts. Beat until cool and spreadable. Enjoy!

4 comments:

Janice said...

I have 2 nieces and one nephew with celiac and several friends. I can't wait to try this recipe.

Jenni said...

I love greman chocolate cake, i might have to try this

Liz said...

that looks SO GOOD! I am sold. it's going on my list of things to make this month for sure!

Anonymous said...

just found out my 1 year old's eczema is due to a gluten sensitivity and since i am nursing him until he's two, we both just began a GF diet. this cake was amazing, made mine with just a cream cheese frosting. the whole family loved it!