Thursday, July 02, 2009

The Birthday Party

You know it is amazing how busy this summer can be. It seems like my blogging time is just gone. I have to show Miss Brittany's fun birthday party and my favorite thing she received.

First the cake. Brittany had definite ideas about what it should look like. It needed to be a flower garden and she wanted to do it herself. That is my creative daughter. So we made the flowers out of starburts and laffy taffy warmed and rolled flat. Then we could cut the petals and leaves. Of course there had to be oreo dirt and coconut grass. By the time I bought all of our ingredients I am pretty sure I could have just bought a fabulous cake but where would the memory be in that, right?

We decided her party would be sort of a greatest hits of our best party activities. Of course that included face painting. I love the girl with the pink butterfly face. She was mad I invited her sister too. They also had a treasure hunt, pinata and did a craft. Good times.

This is my new favorite creation. It started life at the thrift store and was that ugly old brown. Somewhere in blogland I had seen a mom do a similar thing for her kids pet shop collection so I got to work and painted it white (three cans worth!) and then papered the back with cute scrapbook papers and modge podge. I really love how it turned out.
Here is it with its new inhabitants. It sits on top of Brittany's desk in her room.

6 comments:

Bonus Mom said...

Looks like so much fun!!! And I LOVE the LPS storage! I hope I can find a cabinet to refinish soon!

Anonymous said...

Wow! What an awesome gift! Way to go! Looks like the party was a big hit!

SarahSmiles

Tracy Nuskey Dodson said...

Happy belated birthday Brittany! I think you did a fantastic job on the cake...lovely.

I'm also loving the colorful cabinet. How perfect was that thrift store find? Perfect size and everything...thank God for spray paint:)

Jake will be 10 next month, sniff sniff. I can't handle the double digits! Where did the time go?


Enjoy your holiday weekend!!
Tracy

Diane Duda said...

Looks like the party was a huge success!
And the cabinet make-over definitely was!!!
Late birthday wishes to your daughter. :)

xo
Di

Circe said...

Happy birthday! Looks like so much fun! Michelle, you are making me laugh. I have a better idea for a club...the mother-daughter movie club. Actually, it was Golda's idea. She has better ideas than Ptolemy. :)

love.boxes said...

Darling!