Sunday, December 23, 2007


A New Variation on an Old Tradition
So in Utah every Christmas it is a pretty universal tradition to go see the lights at The Salt Lake Temple. Since we can't do that this year we took the kids to the Oakland temple to see their light and nativity display.
It definitely wasn't the same, but that doesn't mean it wasn't still a great experience. The display at Temple Square is breathtaking. But it is also very crowded and very cold. The Oakland temple just seemed so much more laid back. We pulled right into the main parking lot, strolled around in jackets without gloves, hats and winter footwear and just had a really nice evening. Oh, and there were a fraction of the people, a very small fraction!
I do have to admit there is something very unique about a palm tree with Christmas lights on it though. Isn't this pretty pink rose bush with lights on it pretty in front of the fountain and palm tree?
And really, I am not the only one having fun here, it just looks that way!


And they had a really nice nativity. It was a great little activity for our family this Sunday before Christmas. I think it helped blow Santa out of our heads for at least an evening and help us remember just what we are celebrating this week.

I hope to post again before the big day, but just in case I want to wish all of my lovely blog friends a very Merry Christmas. I know as women we all tend to work really hard to make the holiday special(I have visited your blogs and have seen some of the things you girls do!), so I hope all of those marvelous plans turn out just the way you hope and you all have magical, wonderful Christmas!

6 comments:

Natasha Burns said...

Have a wonderful Christmas Michelle! Thanks for the pics, the lights on the palm tree are cute!

Felicia said...

Merry Christmas :)

Circe said...

Those are great pictures! What a fun activity. I see the nativity depicted with palm trees sometimes. So your climate is the more authentic one anyway. We are due for a BIG ugly storm later today. I'll be thinking of your lighted palm trees! Thanks for the acknowledgement that we women work hard. That's all we need, right? Someone to day, "Good job!" I think you are one of the best moms in the world. I cherish your example. You have influenced my mothering immensely! Love ya!

Alison Gibbs said...

Thanks for stopping by my blog through out the year. It has been fun getting to know you.
Wishing you and your family a Merry Christmas.
Alison

love.boxes said...

Can I tell you that Temple Square was light 10 degrees. I'm still cold and it's been 3 days since I went!

Merry Christmas today!

Camille said...

It's not quite temple square, but it looks pretty neat. I bet your family really missed you. Great pictures.