Monday, January 12, 2009

Mac and Cheese

Okay, when I started blogging my reasons were pretty simple. To keep in touch with friends and family and to have a place to share my crazy-craftiness. It still serves these purposes but oh so much more. I have found it a very handy place to keep track of things I don't want to forget. During this move I have discovered that the only recipes that I have from my trusty cookbook, you know the good one that you add to yourself and that is all splattered in all kinds of batter, are here on this blog. Unless of course they originated with my mother, thank heaven's I still have her! So I am going to keep adding recipes, gluten-free and otherwise if for no one's benefit but my own.
William had a real craving for macaroni and cheese after he found some decent pasta. This is really his recipe, modified from a few others. Again the good cookbook is in storage so here it is going to live before I lose the scrap of paper it is written on. Oh, and it really looked better than this when it came out of the oven. I forgot to take it's picture so this is the reheated version.
Sauce:
12 oz evaporated milk
3 T butter
2 T cornstarch
This goes into a saucepan, the cornstarch mixed in while things are still cold.
Add:
1 t salt
1/2 t pepper
1/4 t cayenne pepper
After it has heated enough to thicken add
1 C grated sharp cheddar cheese
1 C medium cheddar
Combine that with 8 oz prepared pasta and put in casserole pan to bake for 30 min at 375
Yummy!

2 comments:

Sarah Smiles said...

We love homemade mac and cheese. We can't seem to get enough of it at my house! :)

SSWS said...

I'm definitely going to try this recipe....I haven't made home-made mac with cornstarch and cayenne....maybe that is what I've been missing! Thanks for sharing. ss