Monday, February 08, 2010

Soup

I have been in the mood for soup lately. My lunch girls have been serving soup lately and I really like it. I had to try and make Sarah's Squash soup and since I liked the way it turned out I need to put it here so that maybe I can do it again sometime.
I baked two big pieces of butternut squash the night before and then chilled it. I sauteed a chopped onion in butter then added the scooped out squash. Then I added about 1 1/2 to 2 C chicken broth and a few shakes of nutmeg. This isn't a very exact recipe is it? Then I blended the whole thing in my blender. Returned it to the pan and added a little (probably 1/2 cup) of cream. It was really yummy!
I also tried a creamy cauliflower soup. I used the Pioneer Woman's recipe that I found here. Only instead of the veggies she used I used the cauliflower, leeks and half an onion. Then I blended the whole thing in the blender. It was really yummy, but my kids objected to the way it made our house smell.
I also tried Julia Child's potato and leek soup. I didn't take a picture but to be honest it didn't look too much different than the cauliflower and leek soup. I am about to return Julia's book to the library so for my own benefit here is the recipe.
2 T Butter
3 chopped leeks
2 T flour
1 chopped onion
6 cups chicken stock
4 cups chopped potatoes
Melt the butter in large pan, saute leeks and onions, cover and cook on low heat for 10 to 15 minutes. Sprinkle with flour and cook for two more minutes. Stirring continually add 1 1/2 cups chicken stock. When the liquid is smooth and starts to thicken add the rest of stock then add potatoes and season with salt and pepper. Heat to boil and then lower the heat and simmer for about 20 minutes until potatoes are tender. Puree in blender and then add about 1/2 cup cream.

4 comments:

vivian said...

mmm! squash soup! Ive been thinking about split pea soup for weeks. and then someone brought some in for their lunch at work yesterday.. so guess what I'm making this weekend??
have a great day!
vivian

Tammy@T's Daily Treasures said...

I love soup and make it all year round. I don't ever follow recipes to a tee. Last nite made a spicy lentil and corn soup. Yummo! Have a great day. :) Tammy

Anonymous said...

My friend and I were recently discussing about how we as a society are so hooked onto electronics. Reading this post makes me think back to that debate we had, and just how inseparable from electronics we have all become.

I don't mean this in a bad way, of course! Societal concerns aside... I just hope that as technology further advances, the possibility of copying our memories onto a digital medium becomes a true reality. It's a fantasy that I dream about every once in a while.

(Posted by Nintendo DS running [url=http://kwstar88.livejournal.com/491.html]R4i[/url] FFBrows)

sws said...

lovely soup pictures....and the squash soup sounds just right! And so happy to have the potato leek recipe, that was a favorite of mine.