Thursday, April 08, 2010

Lessons of Spring Break

This is what the first half of Spring break has looked like at our house. Luckily the sun did come out today and we finally got to go the park, but yesterday I thought I was going to lose my mind. Somehow I had forgotten that technology is not always a blessing. My kids had been watching TV and playing the Wii a lot. The level of contention at our house was unmeasurable. I am not sure who was grumpier them or me. Finally, after listening to the three year old yell at the TV and the two "big kids" yell at each other I turned everything off. After a bit of a rant about how they were all making me crazy inspiration struck. I told them they could get out all of the craft stuff and make anything they wanted if I could go to my beloved lunch with my girlfriends.
Yes, the mess was large. But guess what? We all liked each other again. I liked them, and they liked me AND they liked each other. A miracle. Granted I know that too much technology makes us crazy, and I know that crafting seems to make all of the members of my little family happier, but I forgot. I hope I remember longer this time. (Matthew does have a show on in the back of this picture but it was after several hours and his project was done.)

Here are their creations. I had these paper mache house half finished in the basement since Christmas so I told them they could have them. I had more little animals like I gave my nieces for Easter so they all made houses for their new friends. In case you are interested the houses are 50% off at Hobby Lobby this week.
So the moral of my little story, for myself mainly, is less of things requiring electricity and more of things involving our brains. Oh, and lunch with my friends! That saves me every week!

5 comments:

Jennie said...

I'm so glad you were able to escape for lunch. It isn't the same if you aren't there. :)

Circe said...

Very wise! Especially the part about NOT missing Women's Shelter!

Circe said...

Hey! We missed you guys at the party! We were counting on William to rate the food for authenticity! Are you out of town? Anyway...we'll see you Wednesday! :)

Natasha Burns said...

Smart thinking!!! Glad you all like each other again, lol :)

Amanda said...

What a great Mom idea! You rock woman! Wish I had thought of that one! haha