Tuesday, February 26, 2008



Good books
I just finished this book my friend Liz reccommended last night. Of course after I finished it I couldn't go to sleep. It was that kind of a book. I sort of just wandered around my house after I finished being grateful for everyone and everything in it. It is the amazing story of a Rwandan woman who survivied the genocide by hiding in a bathroom the size of a closet with six other women for three months. Now that alone would probably make this worth reading but the faith in God that she used (and I mean used it physically) to not only survive, get rescued, help others survive and then to unbelievably forgive the insane murders who destroyed her family, country and way of life. I know there are lots of books that make me wonder what I would do in the situation presented but this one really blew me away. Of course I wondered if I would be strong enough just to survive what she did(doubtful). Then to see the relationship she developed and strengthed with God made me really wonder if my faith would have the strong roots hers did to make that kind of life-sustaining relationship grow. I think we Mormons tend to sometimes think we sort of have a corner on strong faith. This book reminded me of how many other amazing people have faith that makes mine look like the mustard seed. She develops a personal method of approaching her life and goals. She says "I was living proof of the power of prayer and positive thinking, which really are almost the same thing. God is the source of all positive energy, and prayer is the best way to tap in to His power." What a great thought! So thanks Liz, I love a book that makes me appreciate my life more, resolve to better things in my life and see things a little differently and this one definitely did!
Well after such a serious read I am definitely needing a lighter book. I was so excited when I was at the library yesterday and discovered Jan Karon, author of the Mitford series, has a new book! So I will let you know how that one goes but I am pretty sure it won't be keeping me up at night, unless it is to finish it!

6 comments:

Natasha Burns said...

Thanks for the tips Michelle! You know I love a good book just finding time is hard, but I do try to read a tiny bit each day even if it is for 5 mins at 2am!
I just read two books by Waris Dirie called Desert Flower and Desert Dawn, you might like those too. You can google her to see what it's all about, there's a YouTube interview with her that comes up 2nd on a google search of Waris Dirie. Really sad though what these women have gone through!

Elisa said...

I am going to totally read that book! It sounds amazing! There is this sister missionary out here that survived the genocide, and she does this fireside about what her hygiene kit meant to her during that whole experience... absolutely mind blowing!
Thanks for the recommendation! I have been looking for another good read!

Circe said...

Ever since I read Left To Tell, I think about it all the time. Whenever I get grumpy about traffic or dishes, I think, "How weak AM I?" None of us ever have anything to complain about, and I'm so thankful to have read this book to remind me that we live in paradise.

love.boxes said...

I want to read that Jan Karon book as well. Great review Michelle! I feel inspired already!

Queen Elizabeth said...

I feel the exact same way but you put it so well!!! Maybe we should start a book review blog? Anyone else you know that could join? ('Cause I don't QUITE spend enough time on my computer already !?!?)

Queen Elizabeth said...

Ooo - I think Janice and Tiffany would be good :) (FYI - not to leave others out... but they came to mind)