Friday, July 18, 2008

A really good sewing day

Sometimes I really wish I could figure out what makes the difference between a really productive today and an unproductive day. The day before yesterday was a really great sewing day. I was able to work on two different projects I have wanted to try. My kids did have summer school but we also had friends over. Yesterday was a total wash, got nothing at all done and there were no friends over. I don't know, wish I could figure it out. Anyhow, here are some of my projects that day.

I saw a girl wearing a skirt like this at Target the other day and then I saw her again at the pool. This must have been a sign that I needed one too right? I had seen this skirt, made from your favorite old pair of jeans around blogland and after seeing that cute girl I couldn't get it out of my head. I googled it and found this tutorial to be the best. I experimented on Brittany's first, she has more old jeans than I do. I followed the tutorial except I didn't unpick the inner leg seam, I just cut up it. I wanted to keep the stitching as a bit of decorative stitching. And I folded the edge over on the back seam so it wouldn't fray too much. Oh, the tutorial also has you cut off the waistband. I guess that would be good if your weren't using your own jeans and had to make it fit but I left mine alone. Oh, and I didn't hem it or anything I kind of like the soft frayed edge. In fact I washed them before we wore them to make them fray. All said and done it was a really easy project, which you can tell since I was able to make two in the same day. I am thinking of making another for Brittany, shorter with a ruffle all around. I might embroider around the bottom of one for her too. I love mine, it is cool and comfy and since it came from a favorite pair of jeans that were fading in the knees(I hate that!), I knew it would fit from the start!

This purse. I have had this in my head for a long time. I want to make one like Alicia did here. Lots of colorful patchwork but I like the shape of my green polka-dot purse so I have been trying to figure out a pattern. I want to use some of my vintage sheets that are coming from that swap to make the patchwork.

This is the inside. I need two pockets. One for keys and lipstick and one for cell phone. I love these fabrics and I am really happy how this one turned out.

So that was my really productive sewing day. Just think what I could do if all my days were this productive?!

5 comments:

Circe said...

Brittany, thank you for answering my questions. Maybe you could tag me sometime. You had some great answers that I could never think of. That was a cute picture of you. -Ruby

mysteryhistorymom said...

Cute skirts and bag! I wish I knew how to sew!! Lori

A Spoonful Of Sugar said...

What great denim skirts! I have never seen that done before so will have to check out your link. My daughter loves denim skirts and this would be a terrific way to get some extra mileage out of her old jeans.

Anonymous said...

Great work on the skirts! A perfect canvas for adding all sorts of fun embellishments-I like the ruffle idea...Thanks for sharing your summer fun!
-Heather

Davis Doings said...

Cool skirts! I just saw a lady the other day in one of those skirts and I was trying to figure out how it was made.