Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Some Fun Movies

When I read or go to the movies it is a bit of an escape for me. I want to go somewhere different from where I am. Preferably somewhere nice. Have you seen the previews for that new Nicholas Cage movie? Something about predicting all the horrible things that could happen to the earth in the near future. Why on earth would I want to see that? The world is a scary enough place right now without our inventing more! But that is just me. I have actually seen several cute films that fit in this category for me.
Marley and Me. One of the fun things about moving back here is I get to go to late movies with the girls I grew up with sometimes. Circe and I saw this one last night. I can't imagine that you haven't heard about it, we have been waiting for it at our house all winter being big fans of the adult book and the kid version. It is basically the story a couple, their dog and how they all grow up. Very funny, but although Circe and I had both read the book and were sure we wouldn't cry-we did. I did a lot. But I also wanted to come home and kiss my hubby and kids. I am glad I previewed it though. Brittany loves the kid version of the book and has been dying to see it. There are a couple of scenes that were a little inappropriate for a nine year old but it is just not targeted at kids. I think she might get a little bored in places when they are exploring the people relationships. But I will rent it for her someday and do a bit of editing, she will love the dog scenes.
Miss Pettigrew Lives For A Day. I love a good period movie. This one is set in the 40's and stars Frances McDormand and Amy Adams. You know, the girl from Enchanted? Had to point that out, she is just so cute. Oh, and the Pie Man from Pushing Daisies for those of you like me who are still in mourning for that show. To quote Netflix: After losing yet another nanny position because of her gruff demeanor, Guinevere Pettigrew (Frances McDormand) mistakenly lands an assignment as the assistant of an American starlet (Amy Adams) and finds herself swept up in a dizzying world of glamour and high society. It is fun, because you see Mrs. Pettigrew accomplish things for this Delysia ( the starlet) just because Delysia is so certain that she can. If it weren't for the unnecessary showing of a bare bum (why do they do that?!) I would say it really reminded me of an old classic film.

And last but not least Leatherheads. William and I watched this last weekend. I figured the football in it would counteract the romantic comedy for him . Netflix again: Hard-nosed sports reporter Lexie Littleton finds herself at the center of an acute 1920s love triangle when an aging football hero and a rising college star go head to head to compete for her affections. It was a little predictable, but light and fun. I think it is such a kick when George Clooney does stuff like this, not taking himself very seriously. He directed this one and it did remind me of Oh, Brother Where art Thou.
So there you are, if you are looking to escape all the incessant talk of the economy. Try a movie!

6 comments:

Circe said...

The movie was so much fun! Thanks for going. Next time I'm going to see if there's such a thing as extra EXTRA butter on the popcorn. I love Marley, but I was a little embarrassed by how many tears I shed at the end. Sheesh!

Michelle said...

You just didn't want me to feel bad I was crying like a baby!

karlascottage.typepad.com said...

I thought Miss Pettigrew was cute as can be. That was one I snuck out to all by myself one afternoon, not one my husband would go see with me!

LuLu Mypinkturtle said...

Bonjour Michelle! I am so sorry I missed your giveaway! Computer woes once again ... And the story of your boy with his surprise cars in his diapers was a beauty! I am curious to know if you have received your surprise yet for my JUST BECAUSE giveaway? It was sent almost two weeks ago to your new address... Hopefully it has not gotten lost in the mail ... Thanks for stopping by regularly, Michelle! Have a happy day! LuLu xxx

Diane Duda said...

I saw Miss Pettigrew and Leatherheads. I liked Miss Pettigrew more. Why do I not remember The Pie Man being in it? I love him! And miss him. :(
I've been warned about seeing Marley and Me, but I really don't mind having a good "movie-cry" every once in awhile. :)

xo
Di

Tracy Nuskey Dodson said...

Hmmmm, maybe I'll run to the library real quick to see what I can get. Probably slim pickins at this point but you put me in the mood.
I definitely won't be seeing 'Marley and Me.' I still can't talk about 'My Dog Skip' without getting choked up. My mom used to ban me from all animal movies because I would get so upset...a trait I have obviously not outgrown:)
Have a great weekend Michelle!!!