Tuesday, March 18, 2008

Some new books!

It is funny but we have been reading two books at our house that tell more of old stories that we loved. Both are newly published too! First I have been reading Before Green Gables. This is a prequel to the Anne of Green Gables series. Now understand I LOVED Anne of Green Gables. I own the entire series and most of L.M. Montgomery's other books too. So I wasn't sure about this. One one hand I obviously can never have enough Anne. On the other it almost seemed a sacrilege for someone else to try and write about her. Like a counterfeit. So I tried to keep in mind that this was someone else's idea of what her life might have been like before she came to Green Gables. All of that said, I would have to say I have enjoyed this book. Of course, it is not quite as good as the original, but since I didn't really expect it to be I was still able to enjoy it.

Then we have Happy Birthday Mrs. Piggle Wiggle. My family has practically memorized the whole Mrs. Piggle Wiggle series and if you haven't read it with your kids you just have to. So again, we were very excited to find more stories about one of our all time favorite literary characters. This was written by the author, Betty MacDonald's daughter. One chapter apparently was begun by Betty MacDonald. We have had a lot of fun with this book . It has been a fun bedtime read for the last couple of weeks. But it doesn't have quite the magic that the originals have.

Lastly I have received a you make my day award! This is very exciting to me, I haven't received one of these before and I love to think my funny little blog made someone's day. So thank you Tascha! I love Tascha's blog, she is so lovely and talented. I get to pass this on too. I love all the blogs on my list over there, you are all my friends and make my day every time I visit. And everyone who leaves me a little comment makes my day by validating this blogs existence! But I am going to give this award to my childhood friend Circe. I am giving it to her because she always makes my day and I want you all to go over and visit her because her great wit, heart and writing will make your day too.




4 comments:

love.boxes said...

That looks like a fun read. :)

Felicia said...

I love the Anne series too and had some trepidation about reading this book. But you're the second person to give it a thumbs up so I'm going to go for it :)

Circe said...

Michelle, thanks! That award made MY day! You are such a wonderful friend. Now I can start playgroup knowing that you're there, smiling! Love ya! And your hair looks cute!

Annie Beez said...

I absolutely "lived" in the Anne of Green Gables books when I was a girl. My all time favorite was Anne's House of Dreams. I will have to give this one a try, it certainly would be lovely to take a trip back to one of my favorite worlds. Thank you for your lovely comment on my blog!