Sunday, March 30, 2008

Button! Button! I've Got Some Buttons!

I discovered through one of my google reader feeds(still loving that!) a new blog I really like Sugar sugar . She is having a fun button day today so I thought I would play along. I love buttons. I love pretty much all old things. Ever since I was a kid, whenever I would visit my any of my grandparents or great-grandparents I was always eager to bring any little old thing home, this probably drove my mom nuts. As a result I probably have more of their little treasures than most of my cousins. It didn't matter if it was the little old journal my grandpa kept as a kid(loved reading all the little entries-delivering papers, getting clinckers out of the furnace!), little bits of costume jewelry, or left over craft supplies. If it was old, I loved it and still do. It probably had a bit to do with the love my grandparents shared too. Anyhow, I have a lot of my grandmothers buttons. I don't even remember how I came to have them all.
I think this funny tin full of buttons she gave me herself when I was visiting one day. She knew I sewed and you always need a button or two when you do that. My kids love playing in this old tin. I'm not even sure what was in this tin originally, mop polish I guess. I should take them out and put them in pretty bottles as I have seen others do, but I can't take them out and put them in something else-it is old after all!
These are my most precious grandma buttons. Aren't they gorgeous. I think part of what makes buttons so fun is that each has such stories they could tell. don't wish that pretty copper colored metal one could tell us where she has been? I think it must say something that most of the buttons in my grandma's collection are dark. Of course, being a child of the depression she saved everything and there are a lot of white shirt buttons she cut off before turning the shirt into rags!
And a few months ago I was lucky enough to win a button giveaway Sarah was having! Aren't these the prettiest?! These have lots of colors!
So there you go, a huge post on buttons and my need for more and more old stuff! So if your grandma is throwing out stuff, think of me!

25 comments:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Circe said...

So colorful and visually appealing. And buttons are good to hold in your hand or run your fingers through.

Lisa's RetroStyle said...

My...what lovely buttons you have! I love your dolls too!!!

Unknown said...

Love your button collection. I just came across an amazing box myself at the local resale shop, how funny! Love your little dolls too, so sweet!!
Jillian

Alison Gibbs said...

Great button collection Michelle.
So many fabulous colors. I have posted about buttons too.
Alison

leesiebella said...

Hi Michelle!

Love your buttons~ and love the stories behind them!!

Thanks for sharing today!

xo
Analise

SunshineandRavioli said...

Oh I just love this button party! It's so much fun sharing, getting to see lots of great eye candy AND finding new blogs to visit! A perfect Sunday afternoon...

I really enjoyed my visit and I will be back...you dolls are so cute!

Lori said...

thanks for sharing your beautiful buttons!!! i love the tin you have for storing them and how sweet that you have your grandmother's buttons to love:)

Betty said...

You have some beautiful buttons too! I love that tin. My mom's name is Betty Ann.

Annie Beez said...

Wow! You have some great buttons! Once when my dd was 15 she got out the glue gun and covered her berkies(shoes)all over with vintage buttons from my collection. They looked so cool and she got compliments where ever she went. She also left a trail of buttons where ever she went!!hehe!

Georgia Peachez said...

What a great button collection! xo, suzy

Little Pink Studio said...

Great buttons!
Love your blog banner too!
~Cerri xo

love.boxes said...

Really great photos Michelle! Love those!

Diane Mars said...

Wonderful History that goes along with your button collecting. You do have a lot of treasures. and what a prize you won all those colorful buttons Wow! I too am always on the lookout for buttons. Little gems.

Hugs,
From your Button sister,
Diane

cherished*vintage said...

Love the tin your buttons are in. That's my moms name Betty Ann!
-Karoline

Tracy Nuskey Dodson said...

What a wonderful button collection you have! I'm jealous...mine is only a fraction the size:) My kids love to dig around in the bin and make designs on the floor. I hope you had a good weekend!
Tracy

Anonymous said...

Those buttons are incredible!! Oh, they are goooooooood!!!!! xoxo

Marja Rijnsburger said...

Beautiful buttons.
When I look at my buttons I also think of my grandmother.
Nice memories.
Greatings Marja.

Marja Rijnsburger said...

Beautiful buttons.
When I look at my buttons I also think of my grandmother.
Nice memories.
Greatings Marja.

Margo said...

I love your grandma's buttons (and all the others too!) It's nice to have a connection with them. I also TOTALLY relate to the last sentence in your profile!
Margo

karlascottage.typepad.com said...

I am enjoying all these button posts. You sure have some pretty ones!

Felicia said...

Love all your buttons :)

Ele at abitofpinkheaven said...

There are just so many gorgeous buttons out there. I am certainly going to be on the look out when I start the garage/flea market circuit this spring.

Heather - Speckled Egg said...

A wonderful collection! Such pretty colors!

The Apron Queen said...

I'm incredibly jealous. How cute!

By the way, any of your blog entries would be absolutely perfect to share for Vintage Thingies Thursdays over at my place. I'd love to have you participate.

Come on by! Confessions of an Apron Queen: http://anapronaday.blogspot.com