Monday, March 10, 2008

Home to Holly Springs

Have I mentioned that I love the Mitford series? I think I have but it is worth mentioning again. This series begins with At Home in Mitford and is by Jan Karon. It is the story of an aging pastor who moves to a small town in the hills of the south. It is not a terribly dramatic, or traumatic, it is just a lovely representation of an interesting person's life and the people in it with a bit of mystery and a fair smattering of humor. This is the latest in the series, about number 7 I think. In this book Father Tim,the main character goes back to his childhood town to revisit old memories and ghosts he has never put to rest. It was just as wonderful as its predecessors! My friend Tif and I were discussing this series yesterday and I think she really hit it when she said that she is not sure if the books get increasingly better as they go along or if it is just that we love the characters more and more. I found this one just as I was finishing Left to Tell. I really loved that book but I was really in need of something light that reminded me that life is really lovely most of the time for most of us, and this great visit with Father Tim really did it!

Now how do you feel about book series? Personally I love them as long as the author can keep up the momentum they create in early books. Sometimes they seem to loose steam and the quality of sequels is not as good as the first. But oh, I love when I discover a good series! Especially if I am lucky enough to discover it after a few books are already out so I don' t have to wait in between for the next one! I love a good book series because it does save me hunting for my next good read too.

Oh! And just in case you are interested, Emily from A black apple will be on Martha tomorrow! I am so excited! Her blog was one of the very first I visited when I started blogging and her dolls really inspired me to try making my own. It is like seeing one of our own make it big!

5 comments:

love.boxes said...

I can't wait to read this book. I know it will be marvelous!

Let me know about the Emily thing.. I will be in the trenches at the church. :)

Janice said...

Interesting. I loved the first few books but did feel like she lost some steam at the end. I think I stopped at book 6. I might need to revisit them--I was pregnant with my first when I started reading them, so 8 years ago.

Elisa said...

I'm with Janice... I read the first 2 about 9 years ago... but sort of lost interest. I am DYING for a good new book to read. Maybe I'll have to revisit Mitford!

noodle and lou said...

oooh...thanks for reminding me about Emily! I can't wait to see her on Martha! How cool:)
by the way...Miss Ginghamworld says hello. She is sitting with me right now;) xoxoxo...jenn

Circe said...

I love all your crafts and your tree! I've missed you while we were gone!