Friday, March 28, 2008

The Glass Castle

I just finished a great book my friend Circe reccommended. The Glass Castle by Jeannette Walls. I really enjoyed it, which was sort of mysterious to me. I know that sounds weird, but it was not necessarily my kind of book. It is the story of a family, I don't know whether to call them disfunctional or just bizarre. Now I do like biographies and auto-biographies, but I don't like I-had-an-abusive-childhood-poor-me-but-now-I-am-great books. I think it is the abuse in them I just can't take, I could never even muster interest in A Boy Called It or that sort of book. But I loved this book and I have really thought about why. I think it is because as bizarre and the parents are, and even neglectful, they do love their kids. The author, the daughter writes with honesty, humor and affection. I have to say if you are a mom and are having a day when you feel like you might not be the greatest mother in the world,this is a great book to be reading. Hey at least no one set themselves on fire while making their own hot dogs or fell out of the car without my noticing today!

7 comments:

Circe said...

I'm so glad you liked it! I was so fascinated by it! The stories were so unbelievable, I couldn't put it down. Ironically, I was a worse mom while reading it because I couldn't tear myself away from the book. hee hee! I think I really liked the love the parents had for their kids and the teaciousness of the narrator. You knew she would be OK.

Elisa said...

I actually saw the documentary about this book! It was fascinating!! It made me feel like I was doing an OK job!

The Vintage Vagablonde said...

I fell out of the car when I was a child and my mom did not know until the guy in the parking lot flagged her down....Or maybe she did know LOL. I think it tramautized her more then me cause after 38 years, I am fine but my mom still tells this story.
Thanks for visiting my blog yesterday. I am extending an invitation for you to visit again. I am having a give-away in honor of my grand opening.Be sure to leave a comment under "Friends are like flowers". Chat soon

Adriana Whitney said...

Now I want to read it too! sometimes I feel like I am an overprotective mom and if I read this book I may become super overprotective.
I love your new dolls. I like the ones in your icon, they look like sisters together. Awwww

love.boxes said...

I just promised Circ I would read this! Can't wait!

noodle and lou said...

I'll have to read this Michelle! We all have those days as Moms...right;) !! xox

Barbara said...

Hi! I came to look at your buttons but saw this post and had to leave a note. I'm on a committee that coordinates a community-wide reading program, and we just picked The Glass Castle for this year's book - it is just amazing! I couldn't stop talking about it after I read it. (I did feel like mother of the year by comparison!)