Tuesday, April 08, 2008

Dolls! Dolls! Dolls!

Lori is having a blogland doll party today and if there is anything I love it is dolls! I have always loved dolls.
This is a picture of my very first doll, and Effanbee Baby Huggums on the right. I got her around age two and I loved her so much I tried to eat her! See her sad little hands? That is because I kept putting them in my mouth. Poor baby, but I just can't get rid of her! A few years ago my mom gave me the new, replacement Baby Huggums for my birthday. I love her too, but I don't try to eat her!
My mom gave me one of my very favorite dolls, her Madame Alexander Alice in Wonderland doll from when she was a girl.
She remade her clothes for me, the originals were loved to death.
My mom has always fostered my love of good dolls. She obviously knew I wasn't going to outgrow my love of dolls early on. She made this porcelain doll in her christening dress when I was twelve.
She even made her underclothes and had a dear friend crochet little booties so her feet wouldn't clink togetherI have a couple of fun reproduction dolls, these are my Shirley Temple as Heidi and my Kewpie doll. Think Mom gave me those too!
My mom isn't the only one to feed this habit. My hubby figured out early on this was a great Christmas present for me too. These are some of the dolls he has given me.
Of course there are the dolls I have made myself. All of these except the Christmas one are in my shop. I sure have had fun making these. It has been great to have an excuse to play with dolls all the time. Not that Brittany and I really need one! My newest one, the little nesting dolls with painted faces I just finished today. They are in the shop too. I am working on them in my favorite toile too
And the obsession continues! This is doll corner in my daughter's room. They look so cute because we were just playing with them together last week!

Thanks for visiting with me and my dolls! I am going over to Lori's to visit some more!

22 comments:

Unknown said...

You have a great collection of dolls and I love the dolls you make too! :)

Christine said...

What a beautiful collection!! I wish I had a nice one like yours filled with ones bought for just for me.(boo hoo..)Ok, so I'm making up for that by making ones now for myself and others:)
Your own creations are beautifu! I have to ask about the doll in the far back of the second to last photo of the dolls you made (she's wearing the white dress with red ribbon around her waist). Did you make her? I love her!!

bluemuf said...

Hi Michelle, You have a lovely collection of dolls. I think it's so sweet that your mom have you the new doll. But keep the origional as well.

Karen

Jessi Nagy said...

i just knew you were going to have a great collection! i love the alice doll.one of my fav movies!
oxoxo,
jessi

Anonymous said...

That is a great doll collection.
I love the alice in Wonderland doll.
Your selfmade dolls are sooo wonderful.
Thanks for sharing !
Have a nice doll day :o)

Betzie said...

Nice you have a daughter to play dolls with! :)
Love your Madame A. Alice! Thanks for visiting me and sharing!

Lori said...

oopsie, i don't have your link posted...i will do that asap:) thanks for playing today and showing your wonderful dolls, you have a HUGE collection!!! you and your mother are wonderful doll makers, how sweet that you can share that passion with your mom:)

Heidi said...

I love the ones you make - I am going to etsy now to see them some more. We also have an Alice in Wonderland like yours at our house. It was my Aunt's and she gave it to my daughter. Sweet!

LW said...

Wonderful collection of dolls, I love your M.A. Alice in wonderland.
She has the most beautiful face…

Louise

vivian said...

great collection! and, I saw one of your dolls in someone elses collection and recgonized her right away!
hugs
vivian

Pinkie Denise said...

Oh your dolls are so sweet, I have a madame alexander Jackie that was given to me as a baby...I love your cloth dolls they are great Pinkie Denise

Natasha Burns said...

I just knew you'd have lots of lovely dollies to show us!!!

Circe said...

What a fun post! My room looked just like Brittany's when I was that age. Antique dolls were a good bonding thing between my mom and me.

Unknown said...

I love your collection, and I just stopped by your Etsy store and marked you a favorite. I love the dolls that you have made. Karen

Anonymous said...

They are all wonderful but Alice is my fav!!
D.

quiltdude said...

That's a great collection, nice they have some history too. Looks like your daughter is following in your footsteps.

roseroomnz.com said...

You and your daughter have lovely dolls and I am so pleased you don't try to eat them anymore:) Rachael

love.boxes said...

Have you seen the Madam A dolls that are the same size as the American Girl dolls and $25 instead of $100? I think they are cuter. My sister bought some from Costco to give for Christmas.. they are darling.

Poppedijne said...

What a collection and all kinds too!! Greating from Belgium and have a nice doll day!

Anonymous said...

Love your doll collection! So glad that you are passing down the tradition with your daughter.

Blessings,
Michelle

Sandy said...

I am so glad you shared your dolls! My favorites are the ones you make, love them!!!

3rdEyeMuse said...

your collection of dolls is so wonderful, but I must say that the ones you have made seriously tug at my heartstrings. :) I also love the nesting dolls.

I missed the party but decided to post my own favs just the same. If you are interested, feel free to stop by: http://3rdeyemuse.blogspot.com/2008/04/doll-party-worse-than-fashionably-late.html

smiles ~M~