Monday, April 14, 2008

Welcome to my Laundry Room!

I have discovered a new way to make great changes in my house. Take pictures of the mess, then work on it and post after pictures. A week ago I decided I had just had it with my laundry room. Now laundry rooms are notoriously messy right? And that probably wouldn't bother me except that this room is the room that I also create in. It is my sewing, crafting, creating room. I am not quite confident in my abilities to call it a studio. So I spend a lot of time in there and it was ugly! I am not always the most organized person and this room had just never been given the attention it needed. You can see the stack of cute pictures behind my sewing machines I intended to put up 9 months ago and never had. and the top of the washing machine and ironing board that become my work space. So hubby was kind enough to hang me another shelf, it was already up when I took this before picture, and I went to town.
This is the before picture, awful isn't it? I must have no shame to put this up for you all to see
I have been working a little bit at a time and this weekend I got it just about done.
.
After!
This is really hard room to photograph because it is really long and skinny. But you can see up there on my shelves I now have a bunch of white bins. This is working great because each project I am working on has its own bin and I can take it down and work on it whenever I have a minute, then put it back in and up on the shelf until the next chance. This is great because I used to just set it somewhere in that poor room, making it just a mess. I made big gingham curtain that hangs from a shower rod so I didn't have to make any holes in the wall, to cover up the ugly storage boxes. And I made a new cover for my ironing board too. I couldn't find a cute one to buy anywhere!
I hung my ribbon up on a cord and I think it makes it look cuter too. And I finally framed my cards from Miss Vanessa. I have my own little Fanciful Twist gallery now! There is a little space on my shelf to put some of my favorite creations until they find new homes too. I am hoping to hang a banner or something cute from the shelf to add more color.

I got to hang up my inspiration board in here too!

This little painting finally found a home in here. It makes me happy because I made the squares out of little snippets from Brittany's dresses I made when she was little.

Thanks for suffering through the tour! As I was saying at the beginning of this method of taking before and after pictures seemed to motivate me to get the job done. Now this little room is one of my favorites in the house and I have actually accomplished more in it than usual. It is all mine and I get to do whatever I want in there! So what is your favorite room?

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

You are braver than me..I would never post a before or after picture of my laundry room..haha. Yours looks great..a smart idea to make it into a mini gallery!
Cant wait to get my dolls:) Have a wonderful or at least productive Monday:)
xo,
Christine

love.boxes said...

I love it! It looks darling! I wish mine wasn't a gym, but it is. There will be no before and afters of the weights and all the guy stuff. :)

quiltdude said...

Michelle it looks fantastic, you are so lucky to have a space of your own (all be it the laundry room, I wish I had one)My work space is generally around my chair, the dining room table and piled around my bedroom. Maybe I should take a leaf out of your book and do some before and after pictures......hmmm....maybe not!
xx
Clare

Unknown said...

Your space looks great, Michelle! I love that you made a matching curtain and ironing board cover. You are so good like that. I like the rolls of ribbon hanging. I really need to do that, too. I have the same shelf you do in my room and 2 bins of ribbons. Love the artwork on display and your quilt painting. Very nice.

Got your journal today. Come peak at my blog.

Hugs,
Tammy

Alison Gibbs said...

Great pics - before and after. You have done a wonderful job of reorganising your laudry room and it looks so pretty
Alison

Circe said...

I love the idea of before and after. I sometimes buy flowers and they motivate me to make the room clean, pretty and worthy of them. Your laundry room is adorable. Mine was cute too, once. Then Xanthe moved in there because she sleeps better in small spaces. Someday my yellow and black toile French laundry room will be as cute as your again!

Janice said...

One of the compromises about building this house was having a TINY laundry room. (So, I could have a larger mud room, we moved the laundry room to a large storage closet upstairs.) It barely has room for the washer and dryer and nothing else. Yours looks so nice!
And funny, I just took a picture of my butler's pantry in its horrible state to force myself to clean it up to post on my blog. I guess great minds think alike.

Krissy said...

Great cleanup! Makes me want to be productive. Lovely artwork, too!
Cheers,
Krissy

Camille said...

This looks great! You've inspired me to tackle my laundry room. It really needs help! I organize it from time to time, but the thought never occurred to me to actually decorate it or hang a picture.

SSWS said...

You go girl!! It looks great! How inspiring. Maybe I should tackle something....hmmmm. I'm very impressed once again by your creativity!

The Polka Dot Pixie said...

It looks great!!!!! I redid the laundry but was too chicken to take the before pics! So glad yours turned out so well. It's so cute!!!:-)

Bonus Mom said...

What a great work space! I lost my craft room with the birth of my son :( Maybe I will have to take over the loft or the playroom, because the dining room table isn't cutting it!

annas dreams blog said...

I love the white bins idea!!!, I loos great, you did a wondeful work. Congratulations and thanks for sharing. Lillian

Janice said...

I just finished Empire Falls and I have to say, I was not a fan. His writing is good but so full of sadness and why didn't Miles become stronger? He still was an unsympathic character to me. So, now I have to say, I must of have liked it because I can't stop thinking about the book but at the same time, so irritating.