Wednesday, September 10, 2008

Chicken Scratch


I am feeling sort of nostalgic and maybe a little homesick for Utah today. I know the seasons are starting to change there and it made me think of all the things changing there without me. Nieces and nephews getting bigger, little friends in theatrical production like Nutcracker, and my sweet little grandma. She is actually not changing so much right now, she is in a home with dementia, so the changes happened a few years ago. My dad's parents were a huge part of my growing up years. They lived a couple of miles away and we saw them all the time. My grandma was a fairly typical housewife of the 50's and 60's, one of my favorite time periods. She did a lot of the crafts that were popular then. Christmas tree skirts made of pieced felt, crochet, and a little handwork. I actually remember her having the proverbial glass grapes. Remember those? I sorta wish I had rescued them when her house was sold. Anyhow, when we did move her my mom found some of her handwork and knew I would appreciate it. Angry Chicken was talking about chicken scratch on some aprons the other day and it made me think of these.
My grandma made them, I never knew this sort of embroidery was called chicken scratch but I like the name. So I pulled them out the other day and tried them on. I instantly felt a bit more like June Cleaver! I even love that they have a few of my grandmother's stains on them. She really used these and it kind of felt like I had a bit of her here.


Isn't this pretty? There is a green one too, I love the details.
Three of my favorite things. Gingham, rick rack and embroidery!
So I may miss Utah, it will always be home, but at least I have my bits and pieces to keep it with me!
**Thanks for all the dolly love yesterday! I love having this blog to ask for advise on and you guys are always so nice! I am hoping to have some of those girls in the shop tomorrow.

7 comments:

ittybittyandpretty said...

i miss my grandma every day! i had a very close bond with her and she lived to be 94! my fav thing was to take her oysters in a bottle and then after she had finished eating i would curl up on her bed and she would stroke my hair and just sing. i have her glomesh purse(? not sure how to spell) and in it i have her rosary beads and a few other things. and each of us granddaughters recieved one of her rings. wow so much info, sorry but it is nice to remember the good old days, my girls dont have a grandmother as both have passed on. xx

Jyl @ MommyGossip said...

I just saw your comment over on goodandcrazypeople.blogspot.com and thought I'd drop by to say hello. How talented you are! I love the gingham idea. I'll have to stop by later and check out your stuff.

Circe said...

I wish I could give you a Utah hug! If only we could switch places now and then, and I could go to the beach!

LuLu Mypinkturtle said...

Bonjour! I too miss both my grand-mamans enormously. Mamie Gabie was an artist and an out-of-this-world one, would knit, sew, bake, cook, craft and garden with about anything she could put her hand on. Mamie Alice was a nature and family lover, a philosopher and a very smart lady who went to school riding her horse bare-back in Alberta. I hope to become a great grand-mother too one day. Thanks for teaching me about "chicken scratch"... Take care, LuLu

Sweet B Folkart said...

I totally have the same aprons PLUS stacks more - from my great-grandmother... what about pillow cases and dishtowels?

- Sweet B

Patty said...

Those aprons are really nice and you are so lucky to have them. Your grandmother did beautiful work!

Mikki said...

What a very sweet post. A bit of a tribute to your grandmother. I love those aprons. Hope you're able to hold on to them for a long time.