Thursday, May 08, 2008

Chocolate Chip Cookies

Today is Brittany's last day of her extra-curricular "gifted" program. They have been studying different countries around the world and to finish up today everybody was supposed to bring something American. We chose chocolate chip cookies. Did you know they are an American invention? I wasn't sure but Wikipedia confirmed they are. Created when Ruth Wakefield was making sugar cookies one day and the vibration of her mixer shook some bars of chocolate down into her mixer. Mrs. Wakefield believed the dough was ruined and was about to discard it when a visitor suggested she bake them anyway, not wanting to waste the dough! Or so the story goes!
Well, we love chocolate chip cookies!



Here is Brittany mixing up a batch with Mr. Joshua's help, he is a very eager helper!



And here are her finished cookies, she rolled each one . Her busy mother usually just drops them right off the spoon!



These cookies were made with my mom's recipe. I think it did originate on a Nestle chocolate chip bag. I think I have posted it before but just in case you feel like some cookies today here it is:
1 C shortening

1 C brown sugar

1 C white sugar

Combine sugars and shortening.

Add 3 eggs and 1 t. vanilla

Add 3 C flour, 1t. baking soda and 1 t. salt.

Add Chocolate chips, we like a whole bag. Bake at 375 for about 7-8 minutes.We like 'em a little doughy!

9 comments:

Circe said...

Oh, I wish I had some of those right now! When I was 14 and lived in Paris for a semester, I CRAVED American chocolate chip cookies. There was a place called Laura Todd Cookies at the George Pompidou Centre, and I would take the subway 30 minutes just to pay 2 bucks for a taste of home. There's nothing more comforting.

SSWS said...

I'm making these today! Thanks for sharing! Joshua is growing...what a darling boy you have. Miss you!

Bonus Mom said...

I LOVE chocolate chip cookies! I believe this is my "family" recipe too! We are sadly out of chocolate chips right now ;(

Anonymous said...

How about you make me three dozen of those and I'll send you the other mermaid..haha! Maybe we'll do that this weekend. I just want to let you know I'll be sending your doll off Monday. i havent had a chance to re-do her arms and I'm behind schedule. Hope you dont mind. I usually send off dolls right away. Have a great Thursday..and now you have me craving chocolate chip cookies:)

Anonymous said...

Yumm yumm yummmmmm!!! How fun!! Happy Early Mother's day!!!

Adriana Whitney said...

Yummy cookies! now I am hungry :0 I think you are good taking pictures of your dolls. I love the banner on your blog with all the dollies on the tree!
I am going to put your link on my blog if thats OK with you.
Adri xoxo

quiltdude said...

Now I want cookies for breakfast!
I never knew they were an American invention, thanks for that bit of history. Hope Britany's day is fun.

X Clare

Natasha Burns said...

oh yummmmmmmmo!!! Have a great Mother's Day on Sunday Michelle xo

Tracy Nuskey Dodson said...

Mmmmm, they look delicious! But it's almost bathing suit season...what to do... One wouldn't hurt, right? But who can ever stop at one? Certainly not me!!!
Have a sweet weekend:)
Tracy