Friday, May 30, 2008

Belong to Me



Okay, I have about a dozen things I should be doing in the next hour before I have to go but I can't do any of them until I tell you all how much I looooooved this book! I just allowed myself the luxury of a bowl of ice cream and the last chapters of a really good book, a treat I highly recommend by the way. It was the perfect ending for a nearly perfect book. Any of you who have been visiting me for awhile may remember my talking about Love Walked In awhile back, or maybe you have just read it too. It has been very popular. Well, this is the sequel. But not your typical sequel. Most sequels sort of count on the fact you liked the characters enough to invest more time and money in them which I generally do if I really enjoyed the first book but let's face it, it is pretty rare I ever like the sequel as much as the original. This one sort of pretends you have never heard of them before. It could absolutely stand on its own.


I don't want to ruin one little bit of it but I will tell you this book is perfectly titled. It is about all the people that belong to us, neighbors, friends, spouses, children and how we belong to them. The first book was a bit hard for me to take, Claire an eleven year old is abandoned by her mentally ill mother. Don't do well with bad things happening to kids, no I don't. But don't think bad stuff doesn't happen in this one, I will tell you there is a friend with cancer in it which is number two on my list of subjects I abhor as the child of a breast cancer survivor, but it seemed more like bad stuff I am familiar with I guess. It was wonderful fun to love these characters again and meet new ones. I loved this thought that Cornelia, probably the main character, expressed near the end, "I've found that if you insist on goodwill, if everyone insists on it together, goodwill comes. I've found that love can be a decision." Isn't that a wonderful concept?!


Okay, now I have gushed about my new favorite book I hope you will at least put it on hold at your library. You won't be sorry, I really think I liked it better than Love Walked In!

7 comments:

Queen Elizabeth said...

Michelle, e-mail me (lizmacd@gmail.com) and I'll give you the blog site that annoys the bejeebers out of me :)

Circe said...

Between you and Tiff raving about it, I can't WAIT to read it!

Janice said...

I LOVED Love Walked In and will probably have it as my book club choice when it meets at my house in September. I have put this one on hold. Can't wait to read it but I am something like number 47 so it will be a while.

Alison Gibbs said...

Oh Michelle I am going to have to look for these 2 books. You girls make them sound like a great read
Alison

Krissy said...

Beautiful. I've been looking for a good book. I'll check this one out pronto. Maybe even because the girls and I have boots so similar to those on the cover and I make them where them every day in our swamp of a back yard!
Krissy

Tracy Nuskey Dodson said...

Ooooo, two more books for my summer reading list! Thanks Michelle.
Tracy

love.boxes said...

I simply loved this book. It's a beautiful gem!