Thursday, May 01, 2008

My Favorite childhood toys

Scrappy Jessi is having such a fun blogland party today! She is letting us all go waltzing down memory lane, one of my most favorite things to do, and remember our favorite childhood toys.

Rocking, and singing and talkin' on the phone! Isn't my Dad cuteIt is still being used today after being recovered several times!

See, Josh loves it and actually Matthew has his big 5 year old bum in it this very minute!?
I had the best Grandpa ever and he made me some of the toys that are the biggest part of my childhood memories. Here we have the home of all the toys, the biggest toy box ever!
This was the center of so many hours of playing for my sister and I. Grandpa made the kitchen with little turning knobs, painted on burners, a little ceramic sink and an oven and cupboards with little shelves. It really was a labor of love for a man who had three sons and was happy to get to make little girls things I think. It is still in use in my mom's playroom and my kids love it too.

Oh, the world of Barbies!

I cannot tell you the hours and hours and hours my sister and I spent playing Barbies! Hands down our favorite toy was everything Barbie. One year for Christmas my parents and grandparents spent a huge amount of time putting together all the itty bitty parts that competed the Barbie doll Dream House! I can't believe I couldn't find a picture of the year we got it for Christmas.
But as you can see it still lives in my parents basement. Keep in mind I am pretty old, and so is the Barbie doll Dream House, but we loved it sooooo we still can't part with it.
The next year my sister got the motor home, I played with her and the Barbies to an embarrassingly old age! Wow, looking at my sister sitting on my cute Dad's lap, doesn't she look like my Brittany with the Barbie house, and both in braids! And Mom was there too, she was just of course taking the pictures. That is why we moms sometimes don't exist in the scrapbooks, we are always taking the pictures!
So that is my little jaunt down memory lane, those days don't really seem so far away!

21 comments:

Jessi Nagy said...

Wow!!
look how cute you were. still are.
i love all the pics.
i love the barbie a frame. it was huge.
thanks for sharing, and thanks for coming to my party.
oxoox,
jessi

Sleepy Hollow Craft Company said...

omg! the Barbie camper!!! I had that too!!!

Pam Mattick Art and Stuff said...

How neat to have the things your Grandpa made :)
Pam

Lori said...

Have to love our hours of Barbies!I remember buying my daughter that huge camper, what was i thinking!!! It took up a room!!LOL Come visit,Lori

Stephanie ~ Angelic Accents said...

Oh how cute you, your sis & your dad are!! Love that little kitchen & the Barbie goodies! Thanks so much for sharing.

Please visit my toys when you get a chance ~ I even did TWO posts ~ one was just for my Barbies & the other for my other toys!

Stephanie
Angelic Accents

Anonymous said...

I remember the barbie camper and that house!!And we had a rocker just like the one you had:) I didnt have that house though I recall playing with it at friends homes. I had a three story apartment and the Sunshine family house..hehe!

p.s. Thanks for the green nesting dolls!

Anonymous said...

Wow! Look at that dreamhouse! I wanted one of those...fortunately, my childhood friend, Jessica was always kind to share hers with me :) It's wonderful that your parents kept some of your most cherished toys. I vow to do the same for my girls...
~Heather

Alison Gibbs said...

It has been fun being part of Jessi's party.
Thanks for sharing your toys with us.
Alison

mendytexas said...

Fun Fun photos! That barbie camper was in my room too... This has been SO fun! :)mendy

bluemuf said...

What a hugh toy box. I love it. Great pictures and a fun trip with you down memory lane.

Karen

love.boxes said...

Fun photos!

Elisa said...

LOL! Michelle, your Dad looks so YOUNG!! I just found a bunch of photos of you and I when we were in some dance group... how fun! I was going to do a "throw-back Thursday" post too... Imagine my surprise to see yours! How totally fun. I remember going to your house to play barbies.. but I didn't play them right--still don't. (i was more of a football girl...thats why I have all these girls that LOVE barbies and babies and all things girly!!)

Fun! Fun! Fun!

Janice said...

Oh how fun! My favorite was Rub a dub dolly, lots of puzzles.

Twyla and Lindsey said...

I love that picture of you with your Barbie house! I think it was almost as big as you were!

Circe said...

What are you still doing up? :) I'm just sitting here crying over the bar! I saw a CUTE picture of you on motherboard's blog! Thanks for the sympathy...I bet you weren't a dodgeball star either!

Jennifer said...

i used to play with that dollhouse too. i loved it. i love the picsand am so lad that your boys get to enjoy your chair!

jenny

The Mom said...

I can't believe how much Brittney looks like Tiffany in that picture with the dream house - I actually thought it was her for a second!!!

I love walking down memory lane too, but I don't think I was nearly as cute as you were :) LOL

Bonus Mom said...

I wanted a Barbie Dream House so badly! I too played with my barbies for years past what many would consider "normal". What happy memories!

Sherry said...

Delightful photos and you know, I couldn't agree more -- those days really don't seem that far away do they?

Alisa Noble said...

How wonderful that you had so many things built by your grandfather! Thanks for sharing.
Alisa

Rosa said...

What a lucky girl to have such a talented granpa!
Rosa