Monday, May 12, 2008

My favorite Mother's Day Dessert

I know Mother's Day is over, mine was lovely I hope yours was too, but I thought I would share our traditional Mother's Day dessert that we had yesterday. I didn't realize it was a tradition until it was almost Saturday night and William asked what I wanted for dinner. All of a sudden I realized we just had to have some version of strawberry shortcake. My mom loves strawberries so we almost always have some kind of dessert with strawberries. I think this is the version we have most often.

Yummy isn't it?

So these are the basic ingredients. Strawberries are on sale in most areas this time of year so it is a good time to make it. Brittany made the angel food cake mix. We make ours cupcake liners. I just love the perfect size and so do my kids. I mixed up the danish dessert. I don't now how popular this is with the rest of the world but we love it. You can usually find it on the top shelf near the jello. Matthew helped cut up the strawberries and stir them into the danish dessert. Then when we were ready to consume it all we just sliced the little angel food cakes in half, added a couple of scoops of ice cream, a layer of strawberries and a dollop of cool whip on top. Super yummy! I'm sure this counts as a serving of fruit right? Oh well, I consider Mother's Day a freebie day!


**There will hopefully be some new pictures of dolls in the shop tomorrow!

10 comments:

Jennie said...

Happy Mother's Day to you! Your dessert looks delightful. Yummy! I just love treats!

love.boxes said...

I hope Mother's Day is a freebie day because I broke my own rule and had 2 treats! :)

quiltdude said...

Oh yummy, strawberries and cream what more can a mam ask for.
XClare

Elisa said...

I am laughing because when I saw your photos, I remembered that I had bought all the stuff to have strawberry shortcakes yesterday. Umm. Yummm. Thanks for the reminder! :>)

SSWS said...

I'll have to try the Danish dessert! I never have, but have seen it! Thanks for the tip. Love the swimming pictures! Lucky girl! You know how I'd love to trade! Hope you are great. Love!

Tracy Nuskey Dodson said...

Mmmmm! That looks delicious. I forgot all about Junket.) I'll have to get some and see if my kids like it.
I'm happy you had such a good day and tell your daughter I'll send her pictures of the ducklings once they hatch:)
Tracy

Diane Duda said...

So glad to hear you had a nice Mother's Day too!
Your dessert looks yummy!

xo
Di

noodle and lou said...

YUMMMMMM! Can't wait to see your new dollies:):) xoxo...jenn

The Polka Dot Pixie said...

Happy belated Mom's Day! That dessert looks yummy! Great idea to put the angel food cake batter in cupcake liners. I am going to try that one!

Janice said...

I've never had Danish dessert. I will have to try it. Is it like rice pudding?