Thursday, May 22, 2008

Throw-back Thursday, Me and Barbie

This is the little family that started it all for me! I adored Barbies! From the time this picture was taken, probably around five, until I was an embarrassingly old teenager.

Actually I guess it never really ended, William gave me a bride Barbie for Christmas the first year we were married. I would have paid good money to see him wandering down that pink Barbie aisle too!

Anyway, the Sunshine Family started it all for me. I remember them so clearly too. The Dad and the baby had such curly hair. And the mom was shaped more like a preteen than the mother of a child. I loved them! I have been thinking about my Barbies a lot as I have been working on miniatures. That became a huge part of the appeal for me. I had a cousin who taught me how to cut out the tiny little images of product that were in the paper on adds and coupons, then make little boxes and glue them to the front. Presto, Barbie could have a full pantry! Believe it or not most of them have survived and are still in residence at my mom's house. When we go to visit this summer I am taking pictures! So does Brittany love Barbies as much as her mother? Not really, but it is okay, I think I got it all out of my system when I was a kid!

5 comments:

Circe said...

I have a China Adoption Barbie that the White Swan Hotel in Guangzhou gives every adoptive family. It is Barbie holding an Asian baby. It's a little weird, but a little cool, too.

The Vintage Vagablonde said...

I forgot all about the sunshine family! I loved playing with them.
Your little miss polka dots is so cute...or should I say was,since she SOLD!

Elisa said...

oh. you look adorable! this is so fun!

Bonus Mom said...

Hi I'm Gail and I'm a barbieholic.
LOL I too loved barbies for far too long! I think that is why I make dollies too. Gina Loves the disney princess barbies, and sometimes she plays with my old barbies, melts my heart ;)

Christine said...

Ha! I had the sunshine family house and dolls..brings back memories:)