Thursday, May 15, 2008

Throw-back Thursday!

I am a very sentimental soul! I am the person in our family who always wanted all my grandmothers' old stuff. So when my childhood friend The Motherboard started Throw-back Thursday on her blog I thought it was great and that I would steal her idea. So welcome to my first Throw-back Thursday! As I was looking through my old pictures I was thinking about the wonderful friends I have had through the years. I have been really lucky, so many of the friends I made in elementary school are my dear friends still. The wacky thing about that is no kid thinks to herself, "I had better choose good friends because I could have them for life". How silly, but for me it is true.



This is me with my friend Kim and The Motherboard on the steps on our first day of kindergarten. Do you see my little hands? See how they are reaching out to grab my little friends hands? I think that is the story of my friendship right there. Once Michelle gets her hands on you she does not let go!





There will probably be lots of birthday pictures on Throw-back Thursday. It seems to be one time my mom could be counted on to pull out the camera. My birthday is at the end of October so the Wear-your-costume theme is a recurring one. Our very own adorable Tif from Loveboxes is there in the front row. Isn't she the cutest little ballerina? I am wearing the kimono my Uncle Ron brought back from Japan for me. My sister is the little one in yellow, not sure what she is supposed to be. Oh yeah, that costume had bunny ears but I guess she didn't like them! I am still good friends with four of the girls, plus my sister of course, in this picture?

Then we all grew up, well we thought we were anyway. There are four of these same girls from the kindergarten picture and the birthday picture that are in this one. (Motherboard on the far right with her arm on my shoulder, and Tif on the far left in her signature hot pink!) Lots of big hair in this one! We are all at a youth conference at BYU. My friend Circe is mysteriously missing from these. She has a hysterical blog you should visit. But where is her picture growing up? I don't know, she was there! I swear we have been friends since we shared potato chips in 3rd grade! I was tempted to post a picture of a bunch of these girls last summer at the going away party they had for me but I was afraid I might finally jeopardize that friendship if I did it without permission! But when I see them this summer I will get one and warn them I am posting it!

Blogging has saved me during our move last year. It has made it possible to keep these friends, reconnect with some I had lost touch with and talk to them almost daily if I want. I have a couple of my close friends who have them now and I just am so grateful. Then there are the new blog-land friends I have made that have just been so much fun. So I guess the point of this silly Throw-back Thursday post is that I am so grateful for the friends who have gotten me to this point and the ones I keep making. And if you and I are friends, sorry you are stuck with me now!

8 comments:

Anonymous said...

you are a lucky girl, michelle
thanks for the blog to read
tattingbug

Circe said...

I love IT! Wow, Tiff really looks like little c in that picture! I'll have to look and see if I have any pics of you...I'm sure I have a few birthday shots. Maybe it's beacause we weren't in the same ward that I'm not is some of the old pics. I mean. it's not like we took pictures of us sharing potato chips! Although we do now, with digital cameras. I'm glad your sis forwarded my post to her friends. Thanks for the ego boost! :)

Elisa said...

Do you notice how I am holding your hand with both of mine??... as if to hold on for dear life? you got me through that scary first day of school.

What was up with my gigantically long pioneer skirt?? sheesh. But, there again, you were the stable one for me to lean on.

I appreciate you, more than you will ever know.

quiltdude said...

What a lovely post, and how lucky you are to still have friends from such an early age.
By the way, you haven't changed a bit :)
Might go and did out some of my old photos now....

love.boxes said...

All I want for my birthday.. is copies of those photos! Fun post!

Bonus Mom said...

Friends are the best! It is awesome that you have the photos too!

Anonymous said...

Great pics! I laughed at the one of the costumes. I have a picture of my 8th birthday that reminds me of yours as everyone dressed up and posed. (Although my birthday is in August so I dont know why we did) I think thats is great that you have lifelong friends and this is a nice tribute to them:)

Queen Elizabeth said...

Those pictures are priceless!!!